Re: Oracle startup script

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 22:15:21 +0100

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 22:10:51 +0100, Tore Skogly <tore.skogly_at_c2i.net> wrote:

>I have installed Oracle 9.2.1 RedHat 8.0, and it is up and running
>perfectly. But I need a startup script to put in /etc/rc.d/init.d to make
>Oracle start automaticly at boot.
>The one described in the installation manual is not working (at least with
>my installation).
>/etc/oratab is changed to have the database start at boot, but the startup
>script I use with Oracle 8.1.7 is not working either.
>Now I have to log in as user oracle and start the database by
>- sqlplus /nolog
>- connect sys/password_at_sid as sysdba
>- startup
>
>Fortunately reboots are rare with Linux, but I want my database to start
>whenever they might happen.
>
>Can anyone please assist me on this one?

Define 'not working'. If you follow the docs you wont have any problems.
The fact you need to use
connect sys/password_at_sid as sysdba
demonstrates
- either you are not using the user oracle to start the database - or you have a faulty install, because in a correct install connect / as sysdba
should be sufficient to get in and NO need to hardcode any password.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Dec 20 2002 - 15:15:21 CST