Re: about FBI.. don't panic please ;-)

From: Antti Järvinen <costello_at_iki.fi>
Date: 20 Dec 2002 21:22:59 +0200

"Giovanni Azua" <bravegag_at_hotmail.com> writes:
> saying I provided a non-deterministic function:
>
> CREATE INDEX PURCHASEKEY
> ON PURCHASE_PRODUCT
> (FOGFC_GETPURCHASEKEY(PERSON_ID,BRANCH_ID,PRODUCT_ID,PURCHASE_DATE,SIZE_ID,C
> OLOR_ID));
>
> The following error has occurred:
> ORA-30553: The function is not deterministic

What does deterministic mean? I don't have documentation handy right now and this determinism is odd concept to me.. does it mean 1:1 mapping between input and output? I can see that not happening as you used to_char() function with date-type with format string that did omit time-part of the date, thus making all times of same day to produce same output.

But if determinism is something else then I have no clue.

--
Antti Järvinen, costello_at_iki.fi
            "concerto for two faggots and orchestra"