Re: Performace with 500,000 tables

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:21:02 +0300

> I'd have to question any design for a database that requires half a million
> tables. Point of fact, I can't imagine any circumstances when that number of
> tables would be required.

One possible case could be if they are porting an SQL Server app that (most certainly) creates a lot of temporary tables during the normal course of operation. If the app does, and they expect a lot of concurrent users, 500,000 tables doesn't sound all that unimaginable... Having, say, 50 temp tables created dynamically per session, they only need 10,000 concurrent users to achieve their goal (that's not counting permanent tables they will surely have.) :)