Re: Performace with 500,000 tables

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:42:02 +1100

Ah well, hence my cunning use of the phrase 'in and of itself'. Naturally, with a huge data dictionary, you'd have to wonder about how it all gets cached, but that's in principle fixable.

Time to monitor (God forbid!) data dictionary miss ratios. True. But then bump up s_p_s and deal with it.

As, say, compared to having a billion extents for a table in dictionary-managed tablespace, where there is precisely sod-all you can do about chaining on the data dictionary cluster involved with UET$, or the multiple-passes on the extent map, beyond re-creating the database with a modified sql.bsq and going for a bigger block size. And even those techniques have their limits.