Re: moron OEM and RBS

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:36:03 -0800

Joel Garry wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3DFF6445.E708D856_at_exesolutions.com>...
> > Joel Garry wrote:

> > > Yah, that's what I would have done in my command-line bias, but I'm
> > > trying to force myself to use OEM and all those wonderful newer
> > > features my OCP certification taught me. I was just so amazed that it
> > > would put online segments in an offline datafile I had to post
> > > something. I was so slack-jawed in amazement I had to try it several
> > > times to be sure I wasn't hitting some OEM refresh bug. Sometime I'll
> > > have a test instance and try to replicate it in command line mode, I
> > > was hoping someone might find this interesting.
> > >
> > > Still wondering how to get rid of that extra datafile without dropping
> > > the whole tablespace or bringing the instance down. The SQL commands
> > > are out there... Maybe I just need to ignore OEM completely?
> > >
> > > jg
> > > --
> > > @home is bogus.
> > > "Sounds like a #9" http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/95q1/reponselist.html
> >
> > I've never found a use for OEM ... or for that matter for most GUI tools.
> >
> > To me they are about 90% dumbing down and about 10% functional.

> I used to think that (in the advocacy groups in the mid-90's I was
> quite vocal and biased about it), but I was hoping the percentage had
> increased. With optimism like that, I should probably sell real
> estate :-)
>

> But more seriously, what I have seen over the last several years is
> the cumulative results of both "microsoftization" and the related
> problem of Oracle trying to emulate it. So one must be able to use
> OEM with alacrity when walking into some random shop where there is a
> high percentage of less experienced admins adhering to the party line.
> They expect you to know it, and expect pretty pictures out of
> Performance Manager and instant solutions to locking issues. So to
> me, it seems necessary both to know OEM and to know its limitations.
> Being able to make it screw itself with just a few commands is just
> gravy for impressing the newbies.
>

> > Daniel Morgan
> > http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
>

> jg
> --
> @home is bogus
> My year-old 300M got rear-ended today. Was it the head of Ford
> Premier Auto Group? Nooooo. Was it the owner of House of Mercedes?
> Nooooo. Was it the manager of Newport Imports? Nooooo. It was the
> CEO of Kia America. Figures.

Part of the interviewing process is setting expectations. When I am interviewed I make it known that my requirement for accepting a position extends beyond just a paycheck. I insist on access to the entire data dictionary, I insist on the ability to use SQL*Plus rather than some GUI they've chosen ... usually TOAD not that I have anything against TOAD, and I insist on a change management process.

If they can't handle that minimum requirement ... I don't want to work there. And I have on many occassions exercised that by either not accepting a position or walking out on one at the first opportunity. A job that is more frustrating than rewarding is only of value if you have no other choice.

Dan Morgan Received on Thu Dec 19 2002 - 12:36:03 CST