Re: TNS-12571 TNS:packet writer failure while trying to install a db

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:40:02 GMT

konzi wrote:
> TNS-12571 TNS:packet writer failure during db creation
>
> Yesterday I've installed Oracle 9i release 2 on my Windows 2000 pc.
> Everything went fine. Then I've installed OWB. Still everything was ok.
> Then I've installed JDeveloper and the BI Beans. After then, I was not
> able anymore to start the dB instance. So I've removed everything again,
> cleaned-up the registry and the file system, and re-installed Oracle 9i,
> but now I'm not even able to install an instance. I do get the error:
> TNS-12571 TNS:packet writer failure while trying to install a db using
> the "db configuration assistent". And some of the time I've get an "End
> of communication channel" error (which is anyway one of my most
> favorites ;-) ) I've even tried to install an 8.1.7. instance but still
> no success!!The error remains!!!!! What do I have to do now? Format my
> disc? Buy a new computer? H E L P?
>
> thank you
>
> robert
>
> rkonzelmann_at_yahoo.de
>
> --

I don't know what steps you followed to clean up the registry and file system. The following outlines the steps I've used to do this. Perhaps some step in there will help you.

Completely remove Oracle from Windows NT/2000

   Don't follow these steps if you only want to remove one product. This    procedure completely erases all knowledge of Oracle on your PC.

Deinstall using Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) [optional]

Start each OUI and uninstall the products found there. If you have multiple Oracle homes, you'll need to uninstall from each OUI in each home (not as "universal" as the name implies). This disables the software.

Stop all Oracle services

NOTE: For this and all subsequent steps, make sure you are logged in as a

       Windows NT/2000 Administrator.

  1. Choose Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
  2. Double-click Administrative Tools
  3. Double-click Services
  4. Stop all services that begin with "Oracle...":
  5. Right-click each service
  6. Choose Stop

Remove all registry entries related to Oracle
   HKLM = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
   HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER
   HKCR = HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

1. Choose Start -> Run

2. Type "regedit" and click OK
3. Delete following registry keys (can export prior to delete if cautious):
  1. HKLM -> Software -> Oracle (all)
  2. HKLM -> Software -> Apache Group -> Apache -> 1.x.x (some): Delete node if it points to Oracle; otherwise leave it
  3. HKLM -> Software -> Classes (some): Delete any folders that begin with "Ora"
  4. HKLM -> System -> CurrentControlSet -> Services (some): Delete any folders that begin with "Ora"
  5. HKLM -> System -> ControlSet001 [thru 00n] -> Services (some): Delete any folders that begin with "Ora"
  6. HKCU -> Software -> Oracle (all)
  7. HKCR Delete all folders starting with "Ora" or "Orcl"

Remove all environment variables related to Oracle
  1. Choose Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
  2. Double-click System
  3. Depending on your O/S:
  4. Windows NT - Select Environment tab
  5. Windows 2000 - Select Advanced tab
  6. Click Environment Variables
  7. In the User Variables area, select and delete any of the following:
  8. DISCO_JRE
  9. DISCO_VBROKER
  10. VBROKER_JAVAVM
  11. VBROKER_TAG
  12. WV_GATEWAY_CFG
  13. Select and edit the PATH variable to remove all Oracle directory references

Remove Windows NT Oracle user(s) [optional]
  1. Choose Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> User Manager for Domains
  2. Highlight the appropriate user(s)
  3. Click Delete

Remove Oracle folders from all disks
  1. Open Windows Explorer (or My Computer)
  2. Delete any folders where you've installed Oracle software - such as:
  3. C:\Oracle\*
  4. C:\Program Files\Oracle\*
  5. Delete any temp folders - such as:
  6. C:\Temp\Install Guide\*
  7. C:\Temp\OraInstall\*

Remove Oracle shortcuts
  1. Right-click Start and choose Explore
  2. Remove any Oracle-related shortcuts you have
  3. Remove any Oracle-related shortcuts other users have - such as:
  4. All Users
  5. Default User
  6. Administrator

Reboot [optional]