Re: Automatic Undo Managment on 9i

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:24:15 -0000

"Timmy Sin" <tswsin_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ats1in$h0u$1_at_news.hk.linkage.net...
> Thanks Howard and Daniel.
>
> So, I can just create a single undo tablespace, enable it to be AUTOEXTEND
> and no more administration and sizing is required.

Yes you can just create a single undo tablespace, I think I'd recommend this though you might wish to stripe it across several disks for performance. I'm not a big fan of autoextend (and certainly not without maxsize set) especially for UNDO as this would be a good way to fill a disk unexpectedly. It is also not true that NO administration and sizing is required, just less. You don't have to worry about how many rollback segments and what size they should be, you do need to worry about the undo retention period and how much undo space you need.

> How about the feature "local management tablespace" already available in
8i?
> Are you using them or the dictionary management tablespace?

I can think of almost no downsides to use of LMT's, and a whole host of advantages especially if you do the sensible thing and go for a uniform extent size. As of 9.2 even the system tablespace is locally managed which should tell you something.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA