BLOB in client – server environment

From: Sonja Stocker <sonja.stocker_at_avitech.de>
Date: 18 Dec 2002 22:58:24 -0800

Hi,
I am working with Oracle 9i and using BLOB in a PL/SQL procedure. To define it, I execute following steps:
- the directory alias will be created with the command CREATE
DIRECTORY
  CREATE OR REPLACE DIRECTORY "dir_uti" AS '/utility';
- a BFILE will be defined using the function BFILENAME
  Lob_loc BFILE;
  Lob_loc := BFILENAME('dir_uti', 'testfile.sql');
- and this BFILE will be loaded into the BLOB.
  rep_lob BLOB;
  DBMS_LOB.CREATETEMPORARY (rep_lob, true);   DBMS_LOB.loadfromfile (rep_lob, Lob_loc, DBMS_LOB.GETLENGTH (Lob_loc));

This goes well, if I reference a file, which is stored on the same server as the database. But we have a client – server installation of the database and I need to reference files, which are stored on the client. Is it possible to define a directory which points to an another computer? Or have I to move all the files on the server? Many thanks for the help.
Sonja Received on Thu Dec 19 2002 - 00:58:24 CST