Re: Hot backup/Tempfile Question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 06:16:32 +1100

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:3e009908$0$245$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...
> "Chucky" <chuck.carson_at_syrrx.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Our DBA's have created several temporary files that are not listed in
> > dba_data_files, but instead dba_temp_files.
> >
> > My question is, when backing these up during a hotbackup, does it matter
> > is they are being written to or not. I currently generate the SQL to
> > recreate them using the same datafiles (with the REUSE clause). It it
> > safe to copy these files during the hotbackup even though they may be in
> > use?
> >
> > Also, it listed the status of each of these temporary files as
> > AVAILABLE, does this mean they are not being used, or they are? ie: what
> > are the different values the STATUS can be?
>
> Don't back them up, just preserve the sql. Creating a temporary tablespace
> with tempfiles will add approximately 10 nanoseconds to recovery time, and
> there is no information in them to backup.

Actually, it's worse than that: not only should you not back them up because they've no meaningful contents, but you actually *can't* back them up:

SQL> alter tablespace temp begin backup; alter tablespace temp begin backup
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-03217: invalid option for alter of TEMPORARY TABLESPACE

And just to prove it's nothing to do with my abysmal use of syntax:

SQL> alter tablespace users begin backup; Tablespace altered.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Dec 18 2002 - 13:16:32 CST