Re: Problem to start ORACLE8i Management Server

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:37:26 +1000

Hi Sandy,

This is a very FAQ and although I said to myself I wouldn't answer FAQ anymore, I had a friend who used to have a really lovely dog called Sandy so I'll make an exception ;)

The OMS is the "guts" of OEM, the middle tier as such from which all the OEM services are run and from which everyone can access and share "stuff". If you wish to use an OMS you must configure the mamma ( note you have a standalone option depending on version which you haven't provided) .

To do so you need to run the Enterprise Manager Configuration Assistant and follow the wizard steps. Note it will ask for a database in which to create the OEM repository (where all the shared "stuff" is kept) which generally speaking should be a different database to which you usually administer.

You then need to start the OMS service (different options depending on O/S which you haven't provided) and you're away.

The only "OEM" user you initially have is called sysman, password oem_temp who is "God" in the OEM world. Follow wisely the first popup screen and you're in.

The next fun part is discovering the nodes you wish to administer, which leads me on to the Intelligent Agent ...

Search the google archives for far more descriptive postings on all this and have a really good read of the OEM Configuration, Concepts and Administration guides. All essential reading for the newbie.

Good Luck

Richard