Re: What exactly is Oracle9i Lite? Where do I get started using it?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:11:46 +1100

Nothing from Oracle comes for free (no, I'm not trying to be cynical, it just comes naturally to me!).

Naturally, you can download any Oracle product for free, including the Enterprise Edition. Just don't try to use it to store any useful data on a long-term basis.

Don't confuse Oracle Lite with Oracle Personal. Personal is a full-blown database product. Lite is (as you suspected) an interface to an existing Oracle infrastructure, designed to be run on mobile devices such as PDAs.

To quote the Oracle documentation on the subject (http://otn.oracle.com/products/lite/content.html):

"Oracle9i Lite provides infrastructure and application services that enables the delivery of secure and personalized applications using a broad range of mobile devices. Oracle9i Lite is an add-on to the Oracle9iAS and complements Oracle9iAS Wireless, providing a complete, integrated, therefore simple mobile e-business framework."

The Mobile Server component you saw mentioned is merely the set of services which provides the interface between the PDA (or similar device) and the 9iAS, so that (as a for example) you can access a database in 'offline' mode, and have your alterations to data synchronized when you next get 'online'.

It most definitely isn't a full-blown functional RDBMS. Merely an interface to one.

Regards