Re: Moving SYSTEM datafile

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:38:46 +1100

"Jimmy Collins" <jimmy_at_jcollins.de> wrote in message news:3i7ota.3i1.ln_at_10.1.1.1...
> "Rick Denoire" <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > I can "move" an Oracle datafile by using the statement
> > alter database move datafile "Path-to-datafile" to "new-path"
> > if I put the corresponding Tablespace offline and actually copy the
> > file before setting it online again.
>
> no - you canīt.
> - shutdown database
> - move tablespace

Er, 'tablespace' is an Oracle concept. Since you've just shutdown the Oracle database, tablespaces cease to exist, and only datafiles are left behind.

But I know what you meant.

> - startup nomount
> - alter database move datafile ...

Uh huh. Nope, I'm afraid there's no such command. As I pointed out elsewhere, the command is 'alter database rename file'.

> - alter database mount
> - alter database open

Otherwise, a spot-on description of the process.

Regards
HJR
> Jimmy
> --
> having trouble in windows - reboot
> having trouble in linux - be root

(Which proves the point that Linux users get sloppy over details, I guess). Received on Tue Dec 17 2002 - 16:38:46 CST