Re: "log on as" W2K server, Oracle 9i

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 17 Dec 2002 11:51:07 -0600

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, bdick_at_cox.net wrote:
> I answered your post from memory. I should know better. The
> security setting is "Log on as a service". Try the following.
>
> 1) Open the Settings.Control Panel.Administrative Tools.Local
> Security Settings window. 2) Right click on Log on as a
> service and choose Security. 3) Add your domain account to the
> list.

Tom Kyte's book explained it like that on page 1201-1202. It seems to be in error (Whew, this statement alone makes me pause). I found that if I log into the W2K server as a domain account that has access to the UNC, and left the "Log on as" as local system, I can now use utl_file to access the UNC drives. If I log into the NT Server with an account that doesn't have access to the network and I change the service's "LOG ON AS", I have errors trying to connect to Oracle.

> I have never done this with a domain account, so I don't know
> if there are other issues. You may have to have your network
> administrator set up a domain-level security policy. Also, you
> may want to try a local user account that has the same user
> id/password as the domain account.

Right now, I gave admin priviledges to the domain account, mine, and logged into the W2K server with this account. Using this, I didn't have to change the "log on as" tab because my domain account has access to the network drives, but, I don't think this is the correct setup. It doesn't sound like a good idea to be running an Oracle server under a domain account. I'll keep digging. I'm obviously missing something fairly basic with NT/W2K authentication/security.

Thanks.

--
Galen Boyer