Re: committed data being rolled back???

From: David <who_was_that_masked_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Dec 2002 08:49:06 -0800

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3DFE882C.5DEF2AD1_at_exesolutions.com>...
> David wrote:
>
> > Has anyone experienced the following? The steps are:
> >
> > 1) Using Toad, issue an update statement.
> >
> > 2) Using same session in Toad, issue a commit statement.
> >
> > 3) Using a client program, view the updated records in a different
> > session, verifying that the data did get updated and committed.
> >
> > 4) Time passes...
> >
> > 5) Client program no longer shows the data and neither does Toad.
> >
> > Re-issuing the update and commit allows the data to be seen again
> > (unless the phenomenon wipes the data again at some later point).
> >
> > We have seen this happen multiple times with different updates, but
> > can't find a pattern. It does not happen often. Most recently, it
> > happened twice within a few days on the same updated data. The data
> > was updated and committed and then the next day it was gone. It was
> > updated and committed again on a Friday. On Monday, the data was gone
> > again, requiring the update/commit to be issued again.
> >
> > The fact that data can be seen in a different session means the commit
> > had to have taken place. So what is reversing the update statement??
> >
> > This is Toad "6.3.11.1 g" and Oracle 8i.
>
> What is affecting the updated rows is other code in the database. Your
> job is to figure out what it is.

Are you suggesting that custom code in the database is doing this? Or something built into Oracle?

If it is the latter, it isn't possible, because I'm the only one with the knowledge of how to update those specific records and it is exactly a reverse of my update that is happening. It is as if you were to do a rollback after the update with no commit.

> I would suggest using the DBMS_LOGMNR built-in package and examining the
> log files.

Is this always running or do you have to turn it on?

Thanks.