Re: E-mail to Database (Oracle 8i)

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:42:38 +0300

Looks like nobody have done it. :) I see two possible ways of doing this: outside Oracle and inside Oracle. Outside means you will create a program (in Perl, Java or whatever) that will access mail account, parse and filter mail from it and then upload needed parts to the database using whatever means available/preferred (JDBC, OCI, ODBC, etc.) Inside is more portable but will put additional stress on the database server: you upload JavaMail API into the VM, write some classes of your own that will use it to retrieve mail and process it the way you want and then upload needed data into Oracle tables using KPRB driver. You can then create PL/SQL wrappers for runner methods of your class(es) and schedule them using DBMS_JOB to run at regular intervals. If your database is already busy enough I'd opt for external approach and run that external program elsewhere only uploading processed data at off-peak hours, but if you can afford running the whole thing inside the database - do it, it's so much easier. :)