Recovering a master-site

From: Jake <me_at_heyjay.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:16:50 -0600

Hello,

I'm running on 8.1.7.2. I have a 12-way master-master replication environment (not originally implemented by me). I want to convert 11 of the sites to updateable snapshots. I've got all the steps done and tested but I want to have a contingency plan to recover if things go awry.

I plan to do the conversion one site at a time (one a weekend). If I do a cold backup of the master site (soon to be updateable snapshot), before I start my conversion, how can I reintegrate it into the master def if my conversion goes wrong?

My problem is that if I recover from the cold backup, the recovered site (master site) thinks its part of replication. But the site has been dropped from the master def site.

I've read (and tried) the offline instantiation procedures, but they don't work (because my recovered master site already has the master group defined, and knows about the master def site).

How can I take the cold backup, recover it, and then notify the master def that the new site exists.

Thanks
J Received on Mon Dec 16 2002 - 22:16:50 CST