Re: how do you deal with file permissions?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 16 Dec 2002 15:03:21 -0800

"Terry Mu" <terry_mu_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<u2nL9.131990$Q71.95217_at_news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...

> it is owned by oracle:dba, I'm a member of dba group, but I can't modiy or
> delete alert file by default.
> If I change ownership of the file or bdump directory, sometimes I delete and
> create the file again, if I dont chown for it, then Oracle has problem to
> write into it.

Check the access rights. Use "ls -la" in Unix or r-click->Properties in Windows.
You must have write permission by group. In Unix, permissions are represented in the "ls" output as a group of letters on the left, more or less like this:

rwx--r--r

or something similar. Group permissions are the three in the middle. In order for group to be able to change the file, it needs to be:

***rwx***

where *** is any other permission already there.

If you want to delete the file and re-create it, then you need group permissions as well on the directory file where it resides. Same deal with the letters, except this time it applies to the directory itself.

HTH
Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam Received on Mon Dec 16 2002 - 17:03:21 CST