Re: Oracle Upgrading = performance improvement?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:48:19 -0800

Axel Stahl wrote:

> Hello,
>
> sorry for posting this again, but I received no answers
> so I hope anybody can help me out there, last try ;-)))
>
> we have a customer which has an Compaq Proliant
> Server with 2 PIII 500Mhz CPU's and 1 gig of RAM
> and Oracle 8.0.5 (Windows NT Server SP5) .
> Unfortunately, since installing the new ERP-System which
> uses the Oracle-Database, the queries runs quite slow,
> due to the mass of queries and new function in the ERP-System.
> We are disappointed because we thought it would run not
> so slow, some invoices take 30 Seconds to be created within the ERP.
>
> There can be many factors, that the ERP is running slow on that database,
> but my question is, if there are any known performance improvements
> from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7.3 ?
> I ask this question to calculate, if it is worth the time, upgrading to
> 8.1.7.3
> so there are any chances to gain more speed.
> P.S.: Does Oracle 8 run more fast, if we would just add another or maybe
> 2 additional Processors, does Oracle "use" them without any further actions?
>
> Thanks,
> Axel

Is this ERP system built in-house or a commercial product?

If a commercial product ... which one?

If a commercial product ... is the vendor salivating at the possibility of coming back in, charging lots of money, and tuning it for you? And yes this is a serious question as I can give you specific advice related to it if it is.

It is definitely worth upgrading to the latest version of 8.1.7 (but make sure your DBA understands how to tune it as the switch from the rule based optimizer to the cost based optimizer requires having current statistics)

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Dec 16 2002 - 12:48:19 CST