Re: Oracle Upgrading = performance improvement?

From: Sanjay <saagarwa_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:39:16 -0500

I will answer the part I know:

> P.S.: Does Oracle 8 run more fast, if we would just add another or maybe
> 2 additional Processors, does Oracle "use" them without any further
actions?

Oracle server can run in two modes:

  1. Dedicated server mode (default for most installations) : In this, each session that connects to the server creates a dedicated Oracle process on the server side. So, multiple processors should help if multiple sessions are connected and doing cpu intensive activities.
  2. MTS mode (Multi-threaded server) : Oracle can be configured to run in this mode where there will be fixed number of server processes, (for example, 15) will serve any number of sessions connected.

In a nut shell, multi-processor should help in either case.