Re: Oracle Upgrading = performance improvement?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 18:08:55 +0300

> There can be many factors, that the ERP is running slow on that database,
> but my question is, if there are any known performance improvements
> from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7.3 ?
> I ask this question to calculate, if it is worth the time, upgrading to
> 8.1.7.3
> so there are any chances to gain more speed.

Well, there was a slew of new features and improvements in 8.1.7 as compared to 8.0.5 (and, of course, bugfixes), but I doubt that upgrade all by itself will instantly boost performance.

> P.S.: Does Oracle 8 run more fast, if we would just add another or maybe
> 2 additional Processors, does Oracle "use" them without any further actions?

Yes for the second part of the question (Oracle automatically recognizes new CPUs and can use them without intervention), it depends for the first - if your system is CPU-bound (that is, there's not enough raw CPU power) then adding more processors will certainly relieve the situation. But if it is I/O-bound then additional processors will not help - Oracle will waste most of its time waiting for I/Os to complete and CPUs will be idle most of the time. You should first diagnose your system, find where contention is and why and act accordingly (tune SQL, tune instance, throw in more hardware resources, switch ERP vendor, etc.) Just adding more processor power or upgrading to a newer release won't magically get rid of bottlenecks introduced in poorly written application or improperly configured system.

My $0.02.