Oracle 8.1.7.4 Performance Issues

From: Burkhard Kiesel <burkhard.kiesel_at_siemens.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 07:31:22 +0100

Hi,

I have a question about Oracle 8.1.7.4 performance, where I need to find the answer or solution.

We have a Oracle 8.1.7.4 database installed on a SUN Enterprise 450 with 2 processors and 2 GB RAM. The shared_pool is approx. 150 MB in size. The db_block_buffer are in total 1,2 GB in size.

When I run the regular queries on the database, the took approx. 0,05 to 0,4 seconds for each query. For my tests, I run the query frequently on the database and they took between 0,05 and 0,4 sec. That fine for me.

In the next morning, I ran the same queries and the first say 20 queries are totally slow, means times from 5 sec up to 20 seconds for each query. After the first 20-30 queries, the query time goes down to 0,05 to 0,4 seconds.

What is the reason for that. There were no queries in the night on the database.
Only a online Backup was running. Is this a normal case, that when starting in the morning, the first queries take this long time ? Are there any parameters which I can check within Oracle configuration.

Regards

Burkhard Kiesel Received on Mon Dec 16 2002 - 00:31:22 CST