Oracle 9iR2 on regular Redhat 7.3 installation (Not Enterprise)

From: Pat Smith <psmith71_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 09:03:50 -0500

Hello Group,

  I am very new to the oracle realm but have been an hp-ux, solaris, and linux admin for several years. I am wondering how to get the oracle rac server running on a non-enterprise edition of rh. I understand that the configuration would not be "certified" by Oracle Corp., but this is just a proof of concept project, with money to be allocated after I show that a viable instance cn be created in a clustered environment.

  I already have a 4 node linux cluster (openmosix) running on rh kernel version 2.4.20openmosix I plan on borrowing a small dell nas array ( 4 disks @ 60 GB ) which will function as the shared filesystem area. The pc's/servers are all p3 500mhz with 256 mb of memory and 10gb local disk.

  My Questions are these:

  1. Can I use the pre-existing openmosix kernel or do I need to down grade to 2.4.9 kernel and then just force the install of the oracle rpm overtop my existing configuration?
  2. Should I even be overlaying the rac server atop an existing grid? Does the rac server contain "clustering" component or just the shared file system?
	3  Has anyone served rac using a NAS solution.  Is anyone aware of
		performance benefits or drawbacks?

  Sorry if the questions seem low-end but my experience withe the Oracle Application is nill

Pat Smith Received on Sun Dec 15 2002 - 08:03:50 CST