Re: truncate randomly failing

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 12 Dec 2002 11:26:47 -0800

erika_at_multimodalinc.com (Erika) wrote in message news:<766a32cf.0212120702.7a044b0d_at_posting.google.com>...
> Thank you all for the messages.

Some wild speculation:

Multiple users accessing a table, one of whom is attempting to truncate.

Oracle has to update sys.tab$ or sys.seg$ or something and associated views.

Users view of sys.*$ is confused, because DDL is not transaction based.

Oracle throws ORA-942 not on the user table, but perhaps on the all_table view or whatever group of things Oracle is looking at to determine permissions).

So Erika, does anyone besides the truncator get the 942?

(I've seen many odd 942 situations like this, under many different scenarios. I've always [well, since 7.0, when I had a complicated DDL script that would sometimes skip creating random tables] suspected an Oracle bug as I've speculated, basically an improperly handled race condition. Perhaps a detuned test instance set to overwork the DBWR could be replicable.)

> We are testing this right now (might take as a while because we are
> not able to replicate this at will, so we just have to see if we can
> go without the error for a while). I just would like to know if
> anybody else ran into the same problem before. Or if yo have heard
> about an Oracle bug like this. I don't know the Oracle version but I
> will ask and post it later.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Erika

jg