Re: rman backup to remote server

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 06:07:14 +1100

"joseph" <joseph_at_biotouch.com> wrote in message news:56c70c5b.0212121010.62cf0c1c_at_posting.google.com...
> rman is intended for installation onto another server. you backup
> your production database or any other database by creating a service
> name like this:
> rman> rman catalog rmandb target productiondb
> You have to create a catalog first. Take a class or read up.

Excellent advice. Can I suggest you take it yourself?

RMAN is not 'intended for install onto another server'. It's an executable that is installed as part of any Oracle Server install, and is thus installed *locally*.

You do not "have to create a catalog first". RMAN works perfectly well by storing details of what it has backed up, and to where, in the control file of thing it's backed up ("the target database"). Indeed, in 9i, it is more or less recommended that you do NOT run with a catalog.

You seem to be suggesting that by somehow connecting to a catalog, RMAN backs up the datafiles of the target *into* the catalog. It doesn't. The catalog (if used) merely stores details of what was backed up, at what incremental level, to which directory or device, etc etc: the same information as is written into the target's controlfile if no catalog is used. The actual backed up files will be sitting on a disk or a tape device somewhere completely different.

Apart from that little lot, no worries I guess.

HJR