Re: RAC on Linux

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:20:51 +1100

Sorry to keep this one going, but....

"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message news:at851501230_at_drn.newsguy.com...
[snip]
> >Screwing things up isn't the issue. It's how easy is it to fix the
problem.
> >And it isn't easy with an spfile, because you need an instance to issue
> >'alter system' commands. With an init.ora, you need a text editor.
>
> Well, let's be totally fair. It IS relatively easy to do with an SPFILE,
> because even without an instance you can do a CREATE PFILE, edit init.ora,
> CREATE SPFILE. I'm not saying it's ideal, but I think you're not really
telling
> the whole picture.

...on the contrary, I've told exactly the whole picture. You *usually* edit the spfile with alter system commands. But when you don't have an instance, you have to go through the three-stage process you've just outlined (and which I originally posted as my reason for not liking the spfile).

I've not missed anything out, just said it's convoluted.

And I think you've just admitted as much, too.

> >I'll give you another example from this week's DBA Fundamentals II
course,
> >which is being run for the first time on 9iR2. And they've set up all the
> >student accounts to use an SPFILE. In Chapter 5, we get to put the
database
> >into MTS (sorry, "Shared Server") configuration. That requires setting
the
> >parameter
> >
> >DISPATCHERS='(PROTOCOL=TCP)(DISPATCHERS=1)'
> >
> >So I try:
> >
> >alter system set DISPATCHERS='(PROTOCOL=TCP)(DISPATCHERS=1)'
scope=spfile;

> >I get told that 'scope=spfile' is an invalid option for the alter system
> >command:
> >
> >SQL> alter system set dispatchers='(PROTOCOL=TCP)(DISPATCHERS=2)'
> >scope=spfile;
> >alter system set dispatchers='(PROTOCOL=TCP)(DISPATCHERS=2)' scope=spfile
> > *
> >ERROR at line 1:
> >ORA-02065: illegal option for ALTER SYSTEM
> >
> >We are reduced to export to a pfile, edit pfile, startup wth pfile,
export
> >to spfile. It ain't pretty.
> >
> >(And if you know the syntax for altering the spfile for this particular
> >parameter, I'd be grateful. But whatever it is, it's not what you might
> >reasonably expect when you know that 'alter system set
shared_pool_size=32M
> >scope=spfile' works perfectly well).
>
> Known bug, bug # 2080569. Sorry!

Exactly. (But thanks for the bug number). When the thing settles down, traps all the opportunities for illegal entries and so forth, then it might well be the go.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Dec 12 2002 - 01:20:51 CST