Re: RAC - how long is a piece of string

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:15:09 +0000

drewibbo wrote:

> g'day folks,
>
> No experience with RAC but have been asked to estimate how long it would
> take to set up a RAC environment of 2 nodes with 2 databases. Is it
> hours,days or weeks? I appreciate there will much tuning over a period of
> time so ignore that in the response.
>
> How does RAC handle Application Server (again no experience with the
> product).
>
> The plan is to migrate a Forms 4.5 on Oracle 8.0.5 environment into current
> technology with failover capabilities.
>
> Cheers.....Drew

I would define what you need from resilience etc and then see if RAC is what you really need. For example, a standard non-rac cluster might failover and be up and running within a couple of minutes. If thats acceptable, then its a LOT cheaper than forking out cash for RAC licenses.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald