Re: doing a transaction that is not logged

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 06:04:29 +1100

He means that if you've partitioned your table, it is likely that you can do some partition DDL to get rid of the rows, rather than DML. That is, you can 'drop partition X' instead of 'delete from table where...'.

DDL doesn't generate rollback.

(Well, OK... it generates some small quantity of rollback for the updates to the data dictionary that result from the DDL statement, but that's utterly trivial in size compared with what a delete of 100M rows would produce).

Regards