Re: find max length of data in all columns?

From: damorgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:16:39 GMT

Susan Lam wrote:

> I'd like to find the max length of data in all the varchar2 columns of
> the entire db. To do the following query column by column will take a
> long time as the db is huge.
> select max(length(col_name1)) from table_name1;
>
> Is there any system tables that store such an information?
>
> Thanks,
> Susan

By 'database' are you using the Oracle term to be every single schema or is this the SQL Server term meaning schema?

In either case there is no fast way. The only thing I can think of is slogging through it with nested loops based on DBA_TABLES and DBA_TAB_COLUMNS. Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Dec 11 2002 - 11:16:39 CST