Famous End-of-File on Channel

From: Gerold Krommer <g.krommer_at_doremove.fns.co.at>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:42:12 +0100

Wow. My second post in 2 days. I think I'm getting hyperactive.

We have written an web app using ASP pages (IIS), that accesses an Oracle 8.1.7 database on HPUX 11i using ADO/ODBC. Oracle client SW was (see below) 8.1.7

We have a problem, where several times a day we cannot connect to the database. The error ist the famous 3113 (I believe) EOF on channel. It does this intermittantly to different users. While one cannot connect, the person on the next PC can (with the same oracle user or another). The only way to fix this is to restart IIS, then it runs for a while.

We saw some bugs mentioned in various articles. So we changed the ODBC driver from Oracle to MS and we installed the latest patchset, bringing the Oracle client SW to 8.1.7.4.
Subjectively,this reduced the frequency of the problem a little bit, but it is still occurring 2-3 times a day.

I'm absolutely out of clues on how to chase this further.

Any ideas ?

/Gerold (g.krommer_at_doremove.fns.co.at) Received on Wed Dec 11 2002 - 09:42:12 CST