Setting shared pool size and Java pool size on 9i

From: Eric Giguere <rikgig_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Dec 2002 06:44:53 -0800

Hi all

Ok, we have quite a nasty problem here. We are currently developping a web service using Tomcat, jsps and so on. We are running on a Solaris server with Oracle on the same machine as DB server.

On one specific server, we have 1Gig of RAM and we constantly hit ourselves with out of memory errors from Oracle. Typically, we hit this error :

ORA-04031: unable to allocate 8132 bytes of shared memory ("large pool","unknown object","cursor work he","qesaQBInit:buffer")

And often, we also have the "shared pool" instead of the large pool. Our system is of course aimed at serving many different users at the same time. Right now, logging in with 5 people is enough to make it go down in about 30 - 45 minutes, Oracle getting out of memory in one of those pools (shared or large).

Our current settings for the shared pool is : 592 Megs! The large pool is at 1 Meg.

Can anyone explain the dynamics behind those pools and the reasonable values to put there so that the system may, for instance, serve 20 clients simulatneously?

Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated :) Eric Received on Wed Dec 11 2002 - 08:44:53 CST