Problems writing to a temporary lob in PL/SQL

From: Tom Williams <towi_at_dr.dk>
Date: 11 Dec 2002 04:44:48 -0800

Hi,

oracle version 8.1.5 - on some hpunix server.

The following procedure when executed, receives the error:

SQL>execute testclob;
call dbms_lob.write
BEGIN testclob; END;

*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-21560: argument 2 is null, invalid, or out of range

PROCEDURE TESTCLOB AS
  f_clob clob;
  str varchar2(32767);
  b_int binary_integer;
BEGIN

  b_int	    := 32767;
  str       := 'See if I can write and read this to a temporary lob';

  dbms_output.put_line('call dbms_lob.write');

  dbms_lob.write(f_clob, b_int, 1, str);

  dbms_output.put_line('write to temp lob success');

  str := '';

  dbms_lob.read(f_clob, b_int, 1, str);

  dbms_output.put_line(str);

  dbms_lob.close(f_clob);
END; After reading the oracle documentation and following their examples and searching google for the error I receive, I am still unable to find the source of my problem. Can anyone please help me!!!

BTW I get the same error when trying to open a file into a temporary lob using the DBMS_LOB.FILEOPEN procedure.