Re: RMAN in RAC

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 21:38:11 +1100

The basic principle is that the node name is not stored in the database controlfile or the RMAN catalog (whichever you choose to use), so RMAN must be able to find all the files it needs from the node where you perform the recovery.

Without a cluster file system, that means you really need to use the NFS mount point solution. However, it *is* possible to copy all the required logs onto the node where RMAN is being run, before invoking RMAN.

That is not considered an optimal solution, however, because it means (assuming you copy the logs as part of recovery operation) that you are copying logs onto one location merely to have RMAN replay them on the node you've just copied them from. That's a lot of old network traffic for no particular reason.

I'm not entirely sure what makes NFS read mount points so 'dangerous', since that is certainly Oracle's own (strong) recommendation.

I also have no idea what you mean by the 'width' of a backup.

Regards

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a RAC DB with two instances, each on one node. I put the DB in
> > archivelog mode and each instance archives its redo logs on a local
> > directory (uoraarch1 for node 1 and uoraarch2 for node 2). To backup the
> > whole database, I launch rman from one of both nodes and the backup set
is
> > put on a local directory, uorabackup.
> > For the restore, is it possible to put all files on the node from where
> > launch rman. I mean: I would put the backup set and all archived logs
(those
> > of both onstances) on a local directory, for example uorabackup but
possibly
> > another one. Or even, I would put all these files on different local
> > directories.
> >
> > This way of doing would make me avoid the annoying and dangerous NFS
mount
> > from the node from where I perform the restore towards the remote
uoraarch.

> > Thanks for your help. In addition, I would say that I cannot use
clustered
> > file system because I'm in HP-UX and it does not exist in this OS...
> >
> > I have another question: is the backup less or more wide than the
original ? Received on Wed Dec 11 2002 - 04:38:11 CST