Re: Oracle 8i + Solaris8 + Enterprise450 + 2 CPU's

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:26:37 +0200

Burkhard Kiesel wrote:

> we have a SUN Enterprise 450 with 2 CPU's and 2 GB RAM. How can I
> measure the CPU performance for both CPU's. Today I use the top command.
> Is there a special version available, which shows also the 2nc cpu ?

The top command I use (HP Unix) shows the CPU - the 1st column in the top display is the CPU number.

> Is there anything which we have to take care in oracle, that the second
> cpu is used ?

Yes and no.

No - by default Oracle will use the 2nd CPU. In fact, this is more of an operating system issue. When the 1st CPU busy state gets to a certian percentage, the operating system will run new proccesses on the 2nd CPU. The operating system is responsible for load balancing at CPU level. Not application software.

Yes - as you have now have increased load capacity on your system, you can make use of that in Oracle. For example, a full table scan can be done in parallel (and not serial) more effectively. Certain index scans can also be paralised. Thus, it is a good idea to install and configure Oracle PQ (Parallel Query) and to use PQ on large tables where possible.

--
Billy