Re: Permission Problems revisited

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 10 Dec 2002 12:14:13 -0800

"Gerold Krommer" <g.krommer_at_doremove.fns.co.at> wrote in message news:<at537n$5u1$1_at_at-vie-newsmaster01.nextra.at>...
> Sorry for the repeat. I have browsed google and found a few entries, but non
> were really satisfying. My Oracle knowledge is (let's say) moderate.
>
> The problem:
> Oracle 8.0.6, Solaris 2.6, but I m pretty sure I have seen this on older
> versions and other platforms, too (e.g. Oracle 8.1.7 and HPUX 11i).
>
> We are able to access the database with e.g. SQLPLUS when logged on as Unix
> user A, but not as User B.
>
> The error is:
> QL*Plus: Release 8.0.6.0.0 - Production on Tue Dec 10 15:13:55 2002
> (c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
> ERROR:
> ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
> ORA-01115: IO error reading block from file 1 (block # 1122)
> ORA-01110: data file 1: '/fnsw/dev/1/oracle_sys0'
> ORA-27041: unable to open file
> SVR4 Error: 13: Permission denied
> Additional information: 3
>
> First I have a problem understanding why the Unix user matters. Isn't it,
> that only the Oracle processes access the data files ? So I only need to
> authenticate to Oracle by logging on.

Perhaps the user with the problem is in the wrong /etc/group. Usually that error means the file is offline. I've seen it happen with hardware going flaky, so the user issue would be a red herring. How replicable is this? You're not nfsmounted or anything? Are you running out of file descriptors (a unix kernel setting)? Metalink has a Note: called something like "Common unix configuration errors" which is worth checking out.

> Second, my research on google has shown that certain protections on certain
> files must be set, but this information was really dispersed over several
> notes entries. Is there a place where there is a concise description on what
> must be set to what (e.g.SUID bit, etc.)

I think it's in the Oracle8 install guide for HP under tasks for the root user. technet.oracle.com if you don't have one.

> Thanks very much,
>
> /Gerold (g.krommer_at_doremove.fns.co.at)

jg

--
@home is bogus.
Real techies wear Vibram soled boots in case a mountain springs up in