Permission Problems revisited

From: Gerold Krommer <g.krommer_at_doremove.fns.co.at>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:03:29 +0100

Sorry for the repeat. I have browsed google and found a few entries, but non were really satisfying. My Oracle knowledge is (let's say) moderate.

The problem:
Oracle 8.0.6, Solaris 2.6, but I m pretty sure I have seen this on older versions and other platforms, too (e.g. Oracle 8.1.7 and HPUX 11i).

We are able to access the database with e.g. SQLPLUS when logged on as Unix user A, but not as User B.

The error is:
QL*Plus: Release 8.0.6.0.0 - Production on Tue Dec 10 15:13:55 2002 (c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. ERROR:

ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
ORA-01115: IO error reading block from file 1 (block # 1122)
ORA-01110: data file 1: '/fnsw/dev/1/oracle_sys0'
ORA-27041: unable to open file

SVR4 Error: 13: Permission denied
Additional information: 3

First I have a problem understanding why the Unix user matters. Isn't it, that only the Oracle processes access the data files ? So I only need to authenticate to Oracle by logging on.

Second, my research on google has shown that certain protections on certain files must be set, but this information was really dispersed over several notes entries. Is there a place where there is a concise description on what must be set to what (e.g.SUID bit, etc.)

Thanks very much,

/Gerold (g.krommer_at_doremove.fns.co.at) Received on Tue Dec 10 2002 - 10:03:29 CST