RMAN: Delete duplexed copies

From: ivan vasquez <ivan_at_itos.uga.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:06:00 -0500

Hi,

I need to take my 9.2.0 server to production before the Oracle rman module for our backup software is in place.

In the meantime, I'm planning to keep 2 weeks worth of backups (recovery window) on disk, while a second (duplexed) copy is sent to a temp directory where the backup software (regular filesystem backup) takes it to tape. I need to delete that second copy every time, before I create the next backup's second copy (whichever backup type it is). This is so that I won't be backing up everything to tape every time.

However, I don't see in rman a way to delete, from a given backup set, the second (duplexed) copy. That would let rman to be happy with its own copy, while I take a mirror of it to tape.

Am I over-complicating things? Would it be sufficient to run full and differential FILE backups on rman's backup directory to stay safe?

Thanks,
Ivan. Received on Mon Dec 09 2002 - 17:06:00 CST