causes of sniped connections (newbie-ish)

From: don <dexter_at_uwm.edu>
Date: 9 Dec 2002 09:33:30 -0800

hello,

i know next to nothing about oracle server, so please forgive me if this is an obvious question.

i'm in the process of developing a java application that makes use of an oracle database (among others) using jdbc. the oracle servers are spread out and have different admins. the admin for the local server informs me that connections created from my app are showing up as 'sniped' on some of the servers.

  1. what exactly does this mean? (something to do with timeouts and/or overuse of resources i gather...)
  2. is there any way for my program to detect (and correct) this?
  3. is there (very likely) something that i may be doing wrong to cause this? (not closing a result set or some such...)
  4. anything else i should know?

it's a problem because these 'sniped' connections block the creation of additional connections (due to those servers imposing low connection limits). this forces me to restart my app in order that other processes may run.

thanks muchly for any input.

-don. Received on Mon Dec 09 2002 - 11:33:30 CST