Re: system/manager password problem

From: David BAFFALEUF <david.baffaleuf_at_axa-im.com>
Date: 9 Dec 2002 02:56:20 -0800

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<pbi8vu8cged2j0eie5og4idffkg8t3qagl_at_4ax.com>...
> On 8 Dec 2002 22:20:18 -0800, david.baffaleuf_at_axa-im.com (David
> BAFFALEUF) wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I have a little question about modifying sys/system password on Oracle
> >8.
> >If I modify system password by:
> >
> >alter user system identified by <new password>
> >
> >, I will be able to connect as system with my new password, but, and
> >this is more embarassing, I will still be able to connect with
> >manager.
> >
> >Does anybody encountered this before ?
> >
> >Thx in advance !
> >
> >DBF.
>

> This happens when you are on the server and are using O/S
> authentication. If you don't want that: disable O/S authentication.
> Without knowing platform and *accurate* version (you are aware how
> many different versions of 'Oracle 8' there are?) no one will be
> capable to tell you how to disable this.
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Hi Sybrand and thanks for your answering,

Apologies for my ignorance:

I have encountered this problem on Oracle 8.1.7 for Solaris 2.6 32 bits, and also within Oracle 9.0.1 for Linux (SuSe 7.3). On both those cases, the OS authentication is disabled (OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX and REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT are not set).

Thx,

David. Received on Mon Dec 09 2002 - 04:56:20 CST