Re: RAC, CFS and online backups

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 22:06:31 -0000

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:VY7I9.91793$g9.256241_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Just wanted to say that in 9i Release 2, RAC and RMAN work very nicely
> together. I've yet to encounter any problems at all (not to say that there
> aren't any lurking... just that in quite extensive testing, I've yet to
find
> them).
>
> RMAN was a dog's breakfast with 8i's Parallel Server, largely because it
was
> oblivious to the existence of multiple instances unless you explicitly
told
> it, and manually took over the responsibility for backing up all
constituent
> parts yourself.
>
> With RAC, RMAN understands the concept of a cluster perfectly well.
>
> Regards
> HJR

Howard (and Pete, if you're there), I accept what you say, and I don't dispute it for a moment.

As I said, I have **no evidence**. I'm just cautious about combining new features. Surely you will accept that in the past we have, on occasion, been bitten.

I'm an avid Oracle supporter, and (I like to think, anyway) a reasonably competent DBA. But I have a preference for introducing changes one at a time.

And none of this is intended to sound in any way negative about Oracle Corporation's offerings.

Regards,
Paul Received on Fri Dec 06 2002 - 16:06:31 CST