Re: RAC on Linux

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 6 Dec 2002 13:17:12 -0800

In article <6de2ae57.0212052248.601cb1d4_at_posting.google.com>, piet.de.visser_at_cmg.com says...

snip

>But I want to avoid SPFILES for the moment.
>This dino wants to control his own startup parameters in an INI file.
>Have generated ini-from-sp on Tru64 and found the simplified syntax in
>it.
>Looking for way to bounce around between SP and INI file, want best of
>all worlds:
> - online altering of parameters when I need that (but not always)
> - keep and manage parameters in a readable file.
> - all parameters for all nodes in a single place (e.g. on
>cluster-disk).
>
>Current alternative would be : link all INST<n>ini.ora into one
>directory (will be more simple if I have a single oracle-home). Use an
>include-file
>with all the common parameters in it and use INST<n>.ora for instance
>specific parameters.
>
>Your thoughts are welcome!

I don't really see why you don't want to use the SPFILE, which does exactly what you want:

  1. You can use the ALTER SYSTEM command to change parameters on the fly (provided they're dynamic of course) using either an SPFILE or not. THe disadvantage of doing this with an old style parameter file is that you have to remember to change the parameter file as well if you want the change to be permanent.
  2. The SPFILE is a readable file. It has a binary header which prevents it being directly modified, but otherwise the values in there are simple text values.
  3. It's stored in one central location.

Probably more importantly, if you want to use the dynamic memory management capabilities in 9i, you HAVE to use an SPFILE IIIRC.

If you still don't want to use an SPFILE, though, keep a common init.ora file for parameters that are the same across all instances, and separate parameter files for each instance for instance specific parameters. First line of the instance specific init.ora would be IFILE=common_parameters.ora.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Fri Dec 06 2002 - 15:17:12 CST