Re: Exclude one piece of data from an export

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 17:01:19 GMT

Tim Shute wrote:
> Thanks for the fast reply!
>
> The problem is not in-house.
>
> What we're trying to do is prevent anyone at a client site from doing an
> export and taking it away with them. We can't control how they do their
> exports.
>
> I know we can't / don't want to stop them from seeing the data
> structures easily, but if this license key field could be automatically
> ignored (or corrupted?) by a 'normal' export, then it wouldn't be
> imported making the
> software application prompt for a license key if it was run against the
> imported data.

You have (at least) two options:

  1. Place the key in a separate database and have your application retrieve it via a dblink. That might (probably will) make distribution of your application more difficult.
  2. Encrypt the key. Those long numbers you find on the back of CD jewel cases and have to type in are the 'public' keys. I'm not a cryptographic guru, so I don't know how to tell you to accomplish this.