Re: debunking partitioning

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 14:35:14 -0000

Notes inline.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____Denver_______December 2/4
____England______January 21/23

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Mikito Harakiri wrote in message ...

>2. I don't quite understand why Jonatan associates the query
>
>where partition_col between a and c
>or partition_col between c and d
>
>to the "compare this year and last year". The latter is a selfjoin
query

>select a.*, b.* from sales a, sales b
>where a.year=1999 and b.year=2000
>and a.day=b.day -- day-by-day comparison
>
>which doesn't have any ORs in it, right?

Performance reasons - The general case needs a full outer join (which probably wasn't available when I wrote whichever note you found) You also have to allow for oddities like the last two days of the last week of last (financial) year being the first two days of this (calendar) year, so the simple year selection and day line-up doesn't work. It does also depend on the capabilities of the front-end tool that is presenting the data after selection, of course.