Re: Very slow initial connection on Oracle 8i

From: Bert Bear <bertbear_at_NOSPAMbertbear.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 05:09:49 GMT

Dispatchers (e.g. MTS or connection pooling) isn't the answer. Also the wait is at the Windows process level. By this I mean say ... Process 51 starts a connection (goes through the initial wait). As long as the connection is open everything is quick. If process 68 starts a connection it must also go through the same initial wait (e.g. 8+ seconds).

An initial startup wait is normal, but my thought was this one was a little on the long side (hence my thought about the dispatchers). Maybe this length of time is normal for Windows (after all it is a PC operating system, where true multi-threading has been an after thought).

One of the reasons why the OAS keeps connections open (shares connections) to the database (e.g. through a DAD) is because of the cost to open a new connection at the process/thread level. Maybe this delay is SOP. As I say, I never really thought about it till you brought it up.

Bertram Moshier
Oracle Certified Professional 8i and 9i DBA

http://www.bmoshier.net/bertram

"Bert Bear" <bertbear_at_NOSPAMbertbear.net> wrote in message news:vuNH9.910$Sg3.884717740_at_newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
> Harry,
>
> I'm also having the same problem on Oracle 9i (9.2.0.1) and Windows XP
> Professional SR 1. The system is a 512 MB (360 MB in use) and 1 GHz
laptop.

> I also took the suggestion of changing to IP addresses, which didn't help.
> Just as you, I see the problem with SQL*PLUS and the OCI (in my case
> SQL/REXX). The first connection takes 8+ seconds and subsequent ones are
> instantanously! If I drop all connections and then start a new
connection,
> the time again is 8+ seconds for the first one (even though I just had a
> connection going).
>
> I never really thought much about this problem till reading your note.
I'm