Re: RAC, CFS and online backups

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 01:51:08 -0000

"PdV" <piet.de.visser_at_cmg.com> wrote in message news:6de2ae57.0212051050.3c52e0d3_at_posting.google.com...
> Group,
>
> Running a RAC database (9.2) on an OCFS clustered system.
> Works surprisingly well.
> Having a real file-system is very comfortable.
>
> Question:
> Can we revert to using "conventional" online backup
> instead of using RMAN to take care of backup ?
>
> e.g. would this still allow me to take backups:
> SQL> alter tablespace data_m begin backup ;
>
> nb: we do realize we need archive-logs from ALL instances to
> perform recovery!
>
> Thanks for any feedback,
>
> Regards,
>
> Piet.de.visser_at_cmg.com

Hot backup? Alter tablespace dah dah dah one at a time and do the business? Yes, of course you can. And in your position, I'd feel reasonably comfortable, provided I had all the logs.

Personally, I'd shut the whole thing down now, and take a cold backup. But then, I'm a conservative old b*****. And I have **absolutely no evidence** to support this view, but I'd be nervous about combining RAC and RMAN. One or the other, yes, but these new features always seem to have issues once one tries to combine them.

But then again, as I implied, I'm a cynic (and as such I doubt that Mr. Ellison would hold me in much regard). You might be better off canvassing the views of others before heeding my advice.

Regards,
Paul Received on Thu Dec 05 2002 - 19:51:08 CST