Re: Oracle newbie

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 22:08:57 -0000

"Aaron M. Lowe" <sweetnlowe_at_telocity.com> wrote in message news:asnu67$933$1_at_newsx.cc.uic.edu...
> Hello,
>
> I'm a SQL DBA who has had experience with SQL Server 6.5, 7 and 2000.
> However in addition to SQL, I just got added to my responsibilities to
> manage an installation of Oracle 8.1.7 with at least two databases. I
have
> no experience doing anything with Oracle. Any suggestions on books,
> courses, training material, etc that could help me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Aaron Lowe

Good luck, and welcome!

In addition to the excellent recommendations made already, you might care to consider Oracle: The Complete Reference (Loney, et al).

A sensible approach, IMHO, might be to temporarily 'unlearn' your SQL Server knowledge when dealing with Oracle, and to temporarily 'unlearn' your Oracle knowledge when dealing with SQL Server.
Imagine yourself to be a new starter in either case. Architecture and appropriate techniques diverge so much between the two.

Regards,
Paul

Senior Oracle DBA, and last resort (very junior) SQL Server DBA - only when they can't find anybody else. Received on Thu Dec 05 2002 - 16:08:57 CST