Re: Very slow initial connection on Oracle 8i

From: Bert Bear <bertbear_at_NOSPAMbertbear.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 19:08:11 GMT

Harry,

I'm also having the same problem on Oracle 9i (9.2.0.1) and Windows XP Professional SR 1. The system is a 512 MB (360 MB in use) and 1 GHz laptop.

I also took the suggestion of changing to IP addresses, which didn't help. Just as you, I see the problem with SQL*PLUS and the OCI (in my case SQL/REXX). The first connection takes 8+ seconds and subsequent ones are instantanously! If I drop all connections and then start a new connection, the time again is 8+ seconds for the first one (even though I just had a connection going).

I never really thought much about this problem till reading your note. I'm wondering if the Oracle server is the bottle neck (e.g. maybe we need to have it start and keep dispatchers around on Windows). My guess is the problem comes from the server needing to initialize something (e.g. dispatcher) for the first time. The pieces (as I see them) fit, but till I try stuff out I won't know. The solution could already be in Metalink or via Google. I've just been finding other things to work on than 8 seconds here and there. Guess, it is time to start looking at the issue.

Bertram Moshier
Oracle Certified Professional 8i and 9i DBA

http://www.bmoshier.net/bertram