Re: Oracle 8.1.7 Running Slow on Solaris 8

From: damorgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 17:32:28 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 10:15:57 +0000, Philip <member_at_dbforums.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Anyone any idea why this should be?
>
> You don't provide anything to work on, and you can't expect people are
> clairvoyant or will look up all the details on the Sunfire V880.
> Moreover they would have to guess your 3+ day delete statement.
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

I'm seconding Sybrand's comments. A delete statement for one row or a billion rows? A delete statement on a single table or with correlated subqueries. A delete statement that used to take 3 seconds, 3 hours, or 2.9 days?

Heres the minimum we need to help you ... and I emphasize the minimum.

  1. Explain plan for the delete statement from both instances
  2. The delete statement
  3. List of existing indexes
  4. Information confirming that fresh statistics were run using DBMS_STATS before the explain plans
  5. Metrics on both as to number of rows and time taken to run

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Dec 05 2002 - 11:32:28 CST