Re: My Ora is so slooooow...

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 5 Dec 2002 07:27:01 -0800

"sean" <sean_at_kistem.po.my> wrote in message news:<aruk5m$od5$1_at_news6.jaring.my>...
> hi Mark,
>
> How to get those v$session_wait and v$system_event ?
>
> --
> Regards,
> sean_at_Denote
> 25-Nov 9.49a
>
> "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com> wrote in message
> > Sean, what made you think increasing the datafiles sizes would make
> > any difference to begin with?
> >
> > 1 - An Oracle database should have more than 3 files so a brief
> > description of the database file organization might be useful
> >
> > 2 - When the problem is occuring you need to capture a snapshot of
> > system performance statistics and of database performance statistics
> > to point you in the right direction. I would suggest you start by
> > looking to see if you have any lock waited sessions and then look at
> > the v$session_wait and v$system_event to see what Oracle is waiting
> > on.
> >
> > 3 - Version 7.3 is getting to be OLD. You might consider upgrading to
> > 8.l.7 or 9.2 once you get a handle on the problem at hand
> >
> > HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Sorry, about slow response. I missed the thread when I went back to check on my posts. The v$ dynamic performance views are documented in the Oracle version# Reference Manual from at least version 7.3 up.

A DBA or an ID with the select catalog privilege can read them.

Just use SQL against the tables:
set echo off
rem
rem SQL*Plus script to display Oracle dynamic event table statistics rem
rem 1999 04 06 Mark D Powell + order by, pagesize to existing query
rem
set pagesize 55
column event format a45
column "Avg Wait" format 999990.999

select event, total_waits, round(average_wait,3) "Avg Wait" from v$system_event
order by event
/

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Dec 05 2002 - 09:27:01 CST