Re: Oracle configuration on Enterprise E450

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 23:55:07 +0100

On Wed, 04 Dec 2002 18:16:10 GMT, Darren Dunham <ddunham_at_redwood.taos.com> wrote:

>I'm sure there are some arguments against this for performance, and they
>may make sense, especially for smaller installations. As the systems
>get bigger, the layout and management issues become larger.

The basic arguments against are for stability. If you have O/S mirroring, Oracle will send one write request. If your write request fails, you're toast and the database likely crashes. If you are using s/w mirroring, Oracle will send two write requests. The likelihood both write requests fail, provided the two files aren't on a single controller, is very low.

I would recommend you work with your DBA to get a better understanding of Oracle. I have met many Unix admins 'knowing better' and providing unmanageable disk layouts from the Oracle perspective. As fas as I am concerned, the disk layout should be determined by the DBA in conjunction with the Unix admin, it should not be determined by the Unix admin only (which I have seen way too often, even if I did provide input beforehand on how I wanted things to be arranged)

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Dec 04 2002 - 16:55:07 CST