import problems Solaris 8 and 8.1.7 - urgent

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 13:56:46 -0000

Tom,

Does the tablespace have 'lots of free space' in one chunk, or in lots ? If you are not using Locally Managed Tablespaces, then the INITIAL and NEXT requirements of any object must be provided from a single contiguous chunk of free space. Your import bombed out requesting 138 MB (roughly) and in a non-LMT this has to be from one single bit of free space.

Check out the space you have by using :

	select 	tablespace_name,
		sum(bytes)/1024/1024 as total_free_mb,
		count(*) as fragments,
		max(bytes)/1024/1024 as biggest_bit
	from 	dba_free_space
	group 	by tablespace_name;

If you find that the biggest bit is smaller than the size requested by your import, then that is your problem. You might find that ALTER TABLESPACE XXXXXX COALESCE will combine enough separate free bits into one - but then you might just get one extra extent added before it goes to pot again.

On the other hand, assuming that there is space in a single chunk, and that that bit of space is bigger than what you need, then what is the PCTINCREASE setting for the tablespace. If this is not zero, then what is being reported in the error message is the size that the import requested, but Oracle may be trying to allocate a HUGE chunkl of NEXT extent due to (a) the PCTINCREASE settiing and (b) the current NEXT extent number - it quickly goes ballistic as extents are added. Trust me, I've been there and I know ! (Always a good example for trainee DBAs - why is there 250 MB of contiguous free space in that tablespace yet this table cannot allocate a NEXT extent of 64 KB ?)

One word of warning, I've got absolutely no experience with LOBs - so the above may not apply. :o)

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator